This position reports to the Head of Audit and Compliance and is responsible for providing leadership in support of the compliance program at the university level. The Compliance Officer is primarily responsible for supporting the University’s privacy and conflict of interest programs.
Job Description Summary:
This position reports to the Head of Audit and Compliance and is responsible for providing leadership in support of the compliance program at the university level. The Compliance Officer is primarily responsible for supporting the University’s privacy and conflict of interest programs. This position will coordinate and advise the University’s compliance functions on emerging risks, program structure and best practices. The compliance officer should be able to work with and understand the functions of any department or activity of the university or its affiliate to review appropriate controls for relevant area regulations. The Compliance Officer will plan and manage independent workflows to improve the University’s overall compliance program.
- Lead the development of a culture of compliance, set an example of transparency and promote an environment where speaking up in a professional manner is encouraged.
- Assists the Chief in the preparation and execution of the annual compliance work plan prepared based on risk assessments conducted with senior management and other key leaders. Performs ongoing assessments of the risks facing organizations within the scope.
- In coordination with colleagues in the General Counsel’s office, assists in the development and maintenance of the University’s privacy program.
- Manages the ongoing conflict of interest process, including policy development, investigation coordination, management plan creation, and oversight.
- Conducts compliance-related investigations as needed and assists in supporting University staff in areas that are subject to external review.
- Leads and performs compliance-related assignments on the A&C annual audit plan. Creates or reviews resulting planning notes and audit programs to ensure scope is appropriate and objectives are focused. Provides for the testing of internal controls to assess their effectiveness. Ensures that scheduled and unscheduled reviews are completed in a timely manner and results are effectively communicated to relevant department management and other interested parties, including senior management. Monitors results of reviews and follow-up reviews to monitor successful implementation of corrective action plans to resolve identified issues.
- Cultivates strong relationships with campus compliance officers in areas such as Title IX, Athletics, Financial Aid, Global Studies. Organizes and sets the agenda for the University Compliance Council to ensure active communication and training between compliance functions.
- Develops, coordinates and monitors University-wide compliance training.
- Provides leadership in resolving University issues that are identified by scheduled audits, investigations, regulatory changes, or internal/external parties. Researches relevant laws/regulations and assesses the identified problem through data collection and interpretation. Develops, in coordination with other University leaders, methods to respond to emerging compliance issues.
Other functions :
- Ability to multitask to manage concurrent compliance workflows.
- Thorough understanding of the University’s regulatory environment.
- Strong leadership ability to train and motivate others.
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships and able to influence at all levels.
- Ability to work with management.
- Excellent communication, including verbal, written and listening skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- In-depth working knowledge of compliance frameworks.
- Proven ability to act as a leader, team player and facilitate groups.
Education, knowledge, skills, abilities required:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A master’s degree in business, law or another compliance-related field is preferred. Must have a minimum of five years of related experience in an academic or complex health system environment.
Application submission information: