About the job
At the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, https://www.ntnu.no/ibm, there is a PhD scholarship available. The research project is designed in collaboration with other departments of the Faculty of Engineering and faculties of NTNU. For a doctoral position, the objective is a complete doctoral training until obtaining a doctorate.
The research area addresses innovation, sustainability, digitalization and entrepreneurship as emerging areas in universities. Innovation and sustainability have become increasingly important in recent years in education and research to address global challenges and strengthen collaboration and knowledge transfer between public sectors such as education and private. NTNU, Faculty of Engineering needs to focus more on the links between innovation, entrepreneurship and public policies in the development of human society. Innovation and sustainability are the key to improving research, selling technology, having better KPIs and unique positions in research, in a proven industrial field, as well as creating better processes in education and in transfer of technology and innovation. The development of new types of processes and methodologies in research and teaching to arrive at better innovative technology is becoming increasingly important in universities.
Universities and countries able to overcome the challenges typically encountered in implementing new research methodologies, new teaching processes, and new skills for faculty and students at all levels, as well as scaling up of processes and technologies from the laboratory, proof of concept to commercial production will have the advantage of achieving competitive and sustainable development in shorter timeframes. This development of innovative technologies is largely driven by the search for more environmentally sustainable operations, digital transformation and societal contribution. Understanding the catalysts for the successful implementation of sustainability and innovation processes in research and education should provide valuable lessons and advance the transfer of technology from the university to business and to society. In line with the NTNU 2025 Innovation Strategy aimed at building an innovation ecosystem by strengthening interdisciplinary collaboration, increasing innovation and commercialization and innovation skills, the PhD will seek to create a framework for sustainable innovation in engineering, education and technology transfer, by understanding the context of research areas, research and development of innovation in education, processes and services leading to sustainability and transfer of technology.
You will report to the Professor.
- Quantitative and qualitative research
- Reporting and scientific publishing
- Contribute to study design, data collection and interdisciplinary collaboration
- Produce a high-quality doctoral thesis, including manuscripts written for publication
- Produce presentations for further dissemination of research
- Contribute to building a collaborative and interactive local and international research team
Selection criteria required
- You must have relevant professional experience in engineering, project management, entrepreneurship, architecture or similar
- Your education must correspond to a Norwegian five-year study program, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s program, or equivalent education, equal to B or better on the NTNU grading scale. If you don’t have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic foundation. If you have a lower academic level, you can be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for doctoral training.
- You must meet the conditions for admission to the doctoral program of the faculty (https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/doctoral-programme)
- Good knowledge of the field of Engineering and Innovation
- Good knowledge of the principles of sustainable development
- Good skills in digital solutions
- Good understanding of the link between technology, processes and human interaction.
- Good knowledge and previous work in co-creation and user engagement activities.
- Good knowledge of the Norwegian BAE industry in general. It is positive if you have knowledge of municipal and/or public administration and industry innovation
- Good written and oral English
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Officials and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for the appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred Selection Criteria
- Good written and spoken Norwegian language skills (future Norwegian language learning will be supported).
- team worker
- Ability to work independently
- Focused and goal-oriented
- Good communication skills
- Critical mind
Salary and conditions
Doctoral students are paid according to code 1017, and are normally paid the gross amount of NOK 491,200 per year before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian civil service pension fund.
The employment period is 3 years with no education requirement.
Appointment to a doctoral position requires that you be admitted to the doctoral program in civil engineering within three months of your employment and that you participate in an organized doctoral program during the period of employment.
The engagement must be carried out in accordance with the regulations in force concerning employees and civil servants of the State and the laws relating to the control of the export of strategic goods, services and technologies. Candidates who, after evaluation of the application and attachment, are found to conflict with the criteria of the latter Act will be barred from recruitment at NTNU. After the appointment, you should assume that there may be changes in the working area.
It is a prerequisite to be present and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documents to be used as the basis for assessment must be in English
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only assessed against the information available at the application deadline. You should ensure that your application clearly indicates how your skills and experience meet the criteria set out above.
The request must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Bachelor’s and master’s transcripts and diplomas. If you have not completed the master’s degree, you must submit confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master’s thesis. If you have recently submitted your master’s thesis, you can attach a thesis project. Documentation of a completed master’s degree must be presented prior to taking up the position.
- Project proposal
- Research plan
- Name and address of three arbitrators
- If you have publications or other relevant research
If all or part of your training was taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation on the extent and quality of all of your training, both bachelor’s and master’s, in addition to other graduate studies. The description of the required documentation can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach it as well.
Joint work will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint work, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In evaluating the most qualified candidate, emphasis will be placed on education, experience, and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions and potential will also count in the evaluation of candidates.
NTNU is committed to following the research quality assessment criteria according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified applicants to apply, regardless of gender, functional ability or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is Norway’s innovation capital with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including health care, schools, kindergartens and general equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Subsidized professional day care for children is easily accessible. Additionally, Trondheim offers great educational opportunities (including international schools) and opportunities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has a low crime rate and clean air. own.
As an employee of NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development of the subject implies and the organizational changes that are adopted.
According to the Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, function and municipality may be made public even if you have requested that your name not be included in the list of candidates.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Alenka Temeljotov-Salaj, phone +47 46 44 50 72, email [email protected] If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Tone Måsøval Arntzen, email: [email protected]
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. The Diploma Supplement must be attached for European Master’s degrees outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master’s degree from China Credential Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for an interview, you must include certified copies of transcripts and letters of reference. Please refer to the application number SO IV-7/22 when applying.
Application deadline: 21.02.2022
NTNU – knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We carry out research and teaching in civil and transport engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering, and hydraulic engineering. Graduates of our programs become employees – in the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of the eight departments of Engineering school.
Deadline February 21, 2022
Employer NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
place of service Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering